Ash gourd is used widely in Indian kitchens. It is high in Vitamin B and Vitamin C with minerals like calcium, potassium, iron and phosphorous. It is rich in fiber too. Let’s make Ash Gourd Halwa | Kashi Halwa | Kumbalakayi Halwa
- As gourd cleanses stomach with which it helps to keep the stomach from ulcers and intestinal parasites.
- It is widely used in aid of weight loss. Since it contains 96% of water, it is the best alternative to calorie-loaded foods.
- Ash gourd helps in stopping the internal bleeding.
- It helps fight against mental illness like epilepsy, anxiety, insomnia, neurosis and paranoia.
- Ash gourd is used for cosmetic levels too. Ash gourd is beneficial for hairs with dandruff. When applied with face pack, it removes dark spots and gives a natural glow to the skin.
Ash gourd is mainly used for curry type recipes. But few know that it can be used to prepare sweets. One of the famous sweets out of it is Kashi Halwa. It tastes awesome and melts in the mouth.
Ash Gourd Halwa, Kashi Halwa, Kumbalakayi Halwa
- 1 medium sized Ash gourd cut, peel the skin and grate.
- 2 cups Grated ash gourd
- ½ cup Ghee
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- ½ tbsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp Cardamom powder
- 8 to 10 Almonds cut into pieces
- In a small frying pan, heat little ghee and fry almond pieces. Keep aside.
- In a big pan, add the grated ash gourd and cook it evaporates all the water into it.
- Now add sugar and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Cook till you get the jelly like consistency. Keep on stirring so that it doesn’t get burn.
- Now add ghee, cardamom powder, almond pieces and cook till ghee leaves the sides of the halwa.
- Yummy, mouth watering Kashi Halwa is now ready.
This Ash Gourd Halwa, Kashi Halwa, Kumbalakayi Halwa can be eaten with ice creams too.
Share this Recipe