It’s the season of jackfruit, we, Mangaloreans prepare most of the jackfruit recipes and one of them is gujje sukka, that is, tender jackfruit dry. At the start of the season, we get this tender jackfruit, which is also called gujje or kadgi, this is even before the seeds are formed. Jackfruit is a healthful source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals. Good to reduce weight, to beat diabetes, to reduce cholesterol, to prevent colon cancer, to increase your longevity.
- Tender jackfruit - 1
- Onion -1 chopped finely, big
- cloves Garlic- 8 chopped
- Coconut grated - 1/2
- Red chilies - 8
- Coriander seeds - 1tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp Jeera
- fenugreek seeds - 1 & 1/2 tsp Methi
- Peppercorns - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- leaves Curry- 4 strands
- Tamarind - amla size soak and extract juice
- Coconut oil - 5 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Chop the tender jackfruit after removing its thick and hard skin. Wash it and cook in the pressure cook with turmeric powder and little salt for 3 whistles. keep it aside.
- Let's prepare powdered masala:
- Take a pan, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Add dry red chilies and fry, add 2 strands of curry leaves, methi seeds and fry for a while. Now add coriander seeds, 1 tsp mustard seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, 4 garlic cloves, and fry well until you get a nice aroma. Now cool this masala and then powder it in the mixer grinder. Keep it aside.
- Now take a pan and heat oil. Add remaining mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add remaining garlic cloves and curry leaves n fry. Now add chopped onion and fry until it is translucent. Now add grated coconut and fry until the coconut becomes little brown. Now add powdered masala and tamarind juice to it and stir. Now add pressure-cooked tender jackfruit and mix well. Check for salt. Yummy traditional tender jackfruit dry is ready to serve.
You can even add Chana ( Black or white) with tender jackfruit and other preparations are same.
If you like this recipe, please share among your friends and family. Enjoy this recipe in the season and get maximum health benefits out of it. Don't forget to comment on the blog about your experience in cooking and tasting this recipe.
Share this Recipe