Vegetable pulao is a commonly prepared rice item across India. But the preparation method and the taste differs from one region to the other.
I tried this Pulao recipe which was taught to me by my Shimoga friend and believe me it came so well that all liked this Pulao.
The taste and the aroma of this Pulao are great. I think the coconut which is a unique ingredient, gives this excellent taste.
Do try it and serve your family. Don’t forget to comment.
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Beans – 100gms
- Carrot – 100 GMs
- Cauliflower – 1/4 kg
- Green peas (frozen) – 100gms
- Onions – 4
- Garlic – 7 to 8 flakes
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Cinnamon stick – 3 pieces (1/2 inch each)
- Cloves – 4-5
- Cardamom – 1/2
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Kuskus (poppy seeds) -1 tsp
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Tomato -1
- Coriander leaves -1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Lemon – 1 (optional)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups (double the amount of rice)
- Salt – as required
* Grind coconut, Cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds, garlic, ginger, green chillies, poppy seeds and 1/2 of the 1/4 cup of coriander leaves, into a thick paste.
* In a vessel, heat oil, and fry onions till golden brown.
* Add ground masala and fry till oil separates from the masala.
* Add chopped vegetables, green peas and tomato and fry a little.
* Now add rice, fry a little.
* Add salt and water.
* Cover the lid and cook until rice is done.
* Garnish with lemon juice and remaining coriander leaves.
Serve with Raitha and salads.
Note: For a royal touch, you can include fried cashew nuts too for garnishing.