A popular South Indian tea time snack and a street food made using chana dal i.e skinned split bengal gram . Masala meaning a mixture of spices are added to the coarsely ground chana dal mixture to make these crispy and flavorful vada. If you are looking for a street style masala vada, then this recipe may be for you. Absolutely flavorful, delicious and crunchy!
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Cooked & mashed potatoes – 1 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Mango powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies – 2 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Oil for deep fry
- soak Chana dal for 4 hours.
- grind the Chana dal coarsely without adding water and take it in a bowl.
- add mashed potatoes, rice flour, fennel seeds, salt, mango powder, pepper powder, hing, ginger paste, green chillies, coriander leaves and mix well.
- take a little of the mixture, make a small ball and flatten it to the shape of vada.
- deep fry these in the Pre-heated oil till golden brown.
Serve with coconut chutney. A good snack with tea or coffee!