Ivy Gourd (Kovakka/Tindora) is a vegetable which grows abundantly in tropical places. It is also known as Little Gourd, Thondekai, Gentleman’s Toes and so on. Here is a quick recipe using Ivy Gourd
Tindora/Ivy Gourd – 1/2 kgs
Coriander leaves – one bunch
Green chillies – 2
Ginger – 1″ piece
Garlic – 2 pods
Tomato – one (big)
Big onion – 1 + 1
Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 tbsp
Peppercorns – 7
Jaggery – 2 marble size
Ghee – 2 tsp
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Salt as required
- clean Tindora/Ivy Gourd and crush them such that there are small openings on them, keep aside.
- grind together coriander leaves, green chillies, garlic, ginger, onion and Tomato with little water. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee & oil. Add thinly chopped onions & fry till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and fry a little.
- Now, add the ground Masala & fry till oil separates.
- Now add crushed tindora/ Ivy Gourd, check the consistency of the gravy. If needed, add little water.
- Add salt & Jaggery.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid & cook till 3 whistles.
- ‘Tindora /Ivy Gourd in peppers’ is now ready to serve!
- This gravy goes well with rice & rotis.