Lemon Rice is one of the most popular and often made rice recipe from south India. A rice dish I have had at a few south Indian Hindu temples and also in restaurants.
Basically this rice dish is one of the easiest to make since already cooked or steamed rice is mixed with a spiced lemon and peanut mixture.
You can make lemon rice with freshly cooked rice or even with leftover rice. The peanuts adds crunch to this sour and aromatic rice recipe. Lemon rice is best to serve with vegetable salad or Tomato sauce or even with yummy coconut chutney.
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chillies – 3
- Turmeric powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Ground nuts – 1 handful
- Onions – 1 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves
- Lemon – 1
- Salt as required
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- heat oil in a pan.
- splutter mustard seeds.
- add curry leaves and green chillies and fry for a minute.
- add Chana dal and fry till golden brown.
- add onions and fry till translucent.
- add turmeric powder, see that the flame is low while adding turmeric powder.
- now add cooked rice and salt. Mx well and fry a little.
- finally, add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze in lemon juice. Mix well.
Lemon rice is ready to serve!