Chicken ghee roast is a typical Mangalorean dish. The origin of this recipe is said to be Kundapur, a city little away from Mangaluru.
This dish is exotic red in colour, tangy and spicy in taste, with ghee roasted aromatic spices. The dish is a cold weather favourite and will please your heart and mind!
Chicken – 1 kg ( cut into medium pieces)
Lemon – 1
Curds – 1/2 cup
Red chillies (long) – 25
Red chillies (small)- 5
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds ( methi) – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 15 flakes
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Tamarind – marble size
Ghee – 1 cup
Sugar – 2 tsp
Few curry leaves
Coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
- Marinate chicken pieces in curds, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Keep this refrigerated for 1 or 2 hours.
- Dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and peppercorns. Grind these with tamarind and garlic to a thick and fine paste.
- Heat a pan, add 1/4 cup of ghee. Add marinated chicken pieces and cook till almost done.
- Transfer the cooked chicken into other vessel and keep aside the water released by the cooked chicken.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining ghee and add the masala and fry until the oil leaves the sides of the masala.
- Add the cooked chicken, salt and 1/2 cup of reserved water from the chicken. Fry for 10 minutes till the masala dries up.
- Now add curry leaves, sugar and coriander leaves
- Take off from the flame and serve.